Saturday, April 11, 2009

Cakes for the family and family-to-be (hopefully)

Summer of 2008 meant family get-togethers. First off was my grandmother's birthday in June, and my aunt threw her a little party. I thought it would be a great opportunity to make a cake for my grandmother and to have a cake for my portfolio. I saw this cake in a book and wanted to try my hand at it. I was still new to decorating and for some reason the icing I mixed came out really soft. Maybe it was due to the massive amounts of gel coloring I added. Not completely sure. But the runny icing made it really difficult to pipe the thirty-odd roses that went on top. But I finally got all the roses piped and let them dry. Then I made a wire stamp tool for the scrollwork, and the actual decorating of the cake went rather smoothly. My boyfriend even shot a timelapse of me decorating it. Here's the cake I ended up with...

Mae's birthday cake



I think it turned out quite well. My grandmother loved it. I also made her a necklace. I designed and cut this piece from a sheet of sterling silver.


Mae's necklace

Next up was my boyfriend's family get-together that July. We just celebrated our three year anniversary this year, but at that time it had only been two years. Any chance you get to impress your (hopefully) soon-to-be family you should take it. They always fix massive amounts of food and it's really fun. So for my contribution I decided to make... you guessed it... a cake.

Basket Cake

The berries made it taste so good. Everyone went on about how good it looked and tasted. That always makes you feel good especially coming from your boyfriend's family.

No comments:

Post a Comment