Thursday, April 9, 2009

My First Blog

Hello! This is my first ever blog. I will be showcasing my work here such as my cakes and jewelry. You can also find my jewelry on my etsy site. I like to do all sorts of things that are art related.

I started out working in polymer clay when I was about ten years old. My parents took me to a craft show where I saw a woman who had sculpted little figures out of clay. I thought they were so cute that I asked my parents if I could try it. They bought me my first blocks of clay and away I went. I have since branched out to larger sculptures and I learned to "sculpt" on the computer making 3d models in Maya while in college. I've also been making jewelry for a while. I started out with beads, and now I've graduated to cutting out shapes in silver which is really fun.

You can't deny the recent surge in cake decorating shows on t.v. I'm not sure if that's what got me interested in cake decorating but it does seem to have made the profession more popular. Last year I took a class in cake decorating along with my mom where I learned the basics on how to ice a cake and make icing flowers.

Here's one of the first cakes I did in the class. It's actually a dummy cake with the icing over a styrofoam form.


rose and mum dot cake

This is the final cake I did during the class. It's iced in the yummy chocolate icing that is my favorite.

chocolate and wild roses cake

I really enjoyed the class and started to branch out into fondant and gumpaste too. I've even started to sell some cakes.

Welp, I hope I kept you interested thus far. More cakes and other stuff to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment